FREELANCE WRITING & PHOTOGRAPHY

Friday, March 7, 2014

Falling through the Rabbit Hole - My Art Exhibit Opens

My exhibit opens today here in Alaska. These are images taken during my time living in New York City between 2012 and 2013.

Oh boy, oh boy.

Here's a preview...


















For over twenty years, I dreamed of living in The Big Apple / The City that Never Sleeps / The Greatest City on Earth / The Cesspool of Humanity… In 2012, this dream came true. Intending to spend ninety-nine days in the city because I thought Ninety-Nine Days in New York City sounded like a catchy title for the book I planned to write about my experiences.  I ended up staying for just over nine months, falling in love with the city and the people who call it home.

Falling through the Rabbit Hole is my photographic discovery of New York City. Like Alice in Wonderland, I dropped through the rabbit hole, and everything was new, interesting and amazing. While I didn’t meet any giant rabbits or wicked witches along the way, I did encounter large rats, feisty cockroaches, obnoxious clowns and a feast of delicious knishes.

I also met an unending parade of kind, quirky, create and passionate New Yorkers. There are so many stereotypes about New Yorkers, including that they are as a whole, selfish, abrasive and rude, but I found the opposite to be true. In fact, I witnessed incredible acts of generosity, patience and kindness, so much so that this became the norm of what I expected from New Yorkers, and I was rarely disappointed.

I wandered the streets, rode the mass transit, walked the entire length of the city not once, not twice, but three times, indulged in theater, dance, live music, museums and Broadway musicals, tantalized my pallet, explored wild, natural areas (yes, these do exist within the city), got lost in bookstores, coffee shops and bakeries and bumped in to a dynamic cast of characters who inspired me personally, as well as my writing and my photography.

Falling through the Rabbit Hole is dedicated to Taz Tally, my partner in life, creativity and adventure. Taz is unwavering in his support and enthusiasm of my explorations, both the ones that take me far from home and those that take me even farther. Thank you Taz.

10% of sales from Falling through the Rabbit Hole will be donated to a family in Queens who continues to recover and rebuild after Hurricane Sandy.









No comments: